Kristin Lewis, Ph.D.
Dr. Kristin N. Lewis is a Clinical Psychologist who obtained her Ph.D. from Ohio University with a specialty in Health Psychology. Dr. Lewis moved to Knoxville in 2013 for her clinical internship at Cherokee Health Systems and stayed on at Cherokee to complete a postdoctoral fellowship and continued employment until starting a new private practice, Lewis Psychology, in June 2020. Dr. Lewis uses an integrated approach, with a background in Interpersonal Therapy and specialties in Dialectical Behavior Therapy and Cognitive Processing Therapy for trauma.
Lewis Psychology[email protected]
1. What was your first real job?:
My first real job was working as a cashier at a local video store in Northern California. It is still one of my favorite jobs.
2. What has been your favorite book and why?:
I'm not sure I'd call them my favorite books, but for fluffy fun I enjoyed the Gail Carriger series.
3. How do you describe your sense of humor?:
I would describe my sense of humor as sarcastic with a healthy dose of self-deprecation.
I consider myself a generalist with a focus on trauma, interpersonal difficulties, anxiety, and depression in adults.
5. What kind of patient would you like to see more?:
Since starting private practice I've seen fewer patients with chronic trauma. I would also like to see more patients identifying as LGBTQIA+.
6. What would you like KAPA to provide in the future?:
I would like the opportunity to be more aware of available providers (i.e. taking new patients). I've really enjoyed the CEs.
7. What guilty pleasure can you not live without?:
My Audible account.
8. Name two people who have inspired you?:
Dr. Jena Saporito, a former supervisor, and Dr. Monica Johnson, a friend and psychologist in NYC.
9. What is a common point of frustration in your current work?:
The pandemic! Patients' increased isolation and having fewer options for socialization, support, and general behavioral activation.
10. What’s one thing - either psychology related or not - you learned in the last month?:
I've learned more about gardening, particularly growing and transplanting seedlings.